The events that shall comprise The Ellimpics, whose motto shall now be
"It's time to stop lamenting that we cannot run very much for now and embrace the gifts we have, enjoy the outlets we can utilize, and celebrate what we can do,"
will begin Saturday, August 4, 2012 and will conclude Sunday, August 12, 2012. Do what you can when you can during that span of time.
The official events will be the following:
- Elliptical 10K
- Elliptical 5K
- Recumbent Bike 20 min. (how much distance can you cover in 20 min?)
- Recumbent Bike 60 min. (how much distance can you cover in 60 min?)
- StairMaster 5-mile
- Alter-G 10K
- Alter-G 5K
The unofficial events will be the following:
- whatever wacked out thing you can come up with that takes place on a rehabbing machine (I'm thinking Elliptical Half-Marathon or Marathon and Recumbent Bike Century or Metric Century and Individual Medley Relay or Decathlon comprised of many different machines)
- You needn't be injured to participate but you must compete on a machine.
- You may set the machine on whatever resistance or incline, etc. that suits you...and you may change it during the course of your event.
- You must complete your event in a single shot...no getting off and on. Well, if you're doing a LONG event, you might need to go pee or get more water. In that case, breaks must be calculated into your finish time. Although, it is acceptable to post a DNF time with the distance actually completed. And not finishing is not grounds for disqualification. We are just here to do our best...sometimes that means stopping before we are 'supposed to'.
- Music, video entertainment, trashy tabloid magazines, and any/all other distraction devices are acceptable for use during competition.
- No puking...we are injured athletes who are rehabbing and shouldn't be pushing ourselves that hard ;-) And the gym might get annoyed.
There will, of course, be cool prizes. Some will be given at random and some will be awarded. I'm not organized enough to know how many will be in each category or even what the categories will be, but there will be a minimum of 3 prizes given out in total. You will like the prizes.
I'm thinking of entering the elliptical events and the StairMaster event in addition to some wacked out events. And maybe even an IM. I will not be eligible for prizes...I'm just going to do it to motivate you! :)
Leave a comment indicating your interest and which event(s) you're planning to attempt...if you know. Tell your friends, tell your family...fun for everyone!
If people share their Ellimpics stories of challenge and triumph, I will be sure to post links :)