The quantity of competitors was not indicative of the quality at all, however.
- Check out dark horse recumbent cyclist, Terzah's, last minute entry and write up of her experience with The Ellimpics. I don't know what she promised to somebody to sneak into the Games...but there she was, in all her recumbent glory...kickin' back and spinning her little heart out.
- Gracie was an unexpected entrant in the gymnastics All-Around competition. From the looks of the photos, one might surmise that this woman lives, breathes, and eats her new events now that she is running-less. I would go so far as to guess that she was kind of into her events even when she was uninjured ;-)
- And, of course, there was me. Four events in 8 days. Which brings us to ...
How I'm like Meb and Ryan.
Here is how...
- on Sunday August 12, 2012, all three of us set out to complete 26.2 miles...mine just happened to be on the elliptical and theirs happened to be the Olympic marathon in London.
- Ryan and I both do not have a (non-eternal) coach and do not follow a specified training program.
- Ryan and I both DNF'd our Sunday events.
- Meb and I finished what we did in 2 hours 11 minutes and change. Granted his was running the full distance on the ground and he wound up fourth in the Olympics, a huge difference than me calling it quits after 20 measly miles on the elliptical...bored out of my f*cking skull.
Was I bummed to DNF my elliptical marathon?
Smartest thing I ever did was bail on that puppy. I realized 20 minutes into it that
- I am not really in 3-hours-of-continuous-intense-exercise-of-any-kind shape and
- Three hours on an elliptical is a really, really, really long time and
- I was already really, really, really bored and just over one-seventh of the way done and
- What the heck was I thinking?
I really wanted to finish feeling awesome about the workout and solid in the effort. I picked 20 miles as my end point and then went after it. I managed to work negative splits the whole way and finished the 20 in 2:11:43. Then I went home and had lunch and played Gin Rummy with my kids.
I still can't run as fast as I can elliptical. I tried the other night. But all the chiropractic leg-yanking is getting me closer. Maybe by 2016? Nah... I'm grooving on not being obsessive and 'driven' anymore :)