1. There is ONE day a year when it is appropriate to wear this shirt (see above). I feel awkward wearing it any day BUT actually on Halloween. I suppose I could wear it during "the season," but it really isn't that comfortable and it is not at all flattering.
2. My kids are pretty awesome when it comes to selecting costumes...
clockwise from left:
King of Hearts with multiple personality disorder (with Big G, things are never simple), Alice in Wonderland (so glad she still was excited to be this!), Darth Maul (Q refused to wear the "uncomfortable" mask while trick or treating, so he just looked like a guy wearing black) and a Vampire Girl (no make-up...big time mom fail...in my defense I did buy it! We just ran out of time).
3. It kind of sucks when it rains on Halloween. A raincoat is not a good costume...unless you're Humphrey Bogart or a flasher. And umbrellas in crowds are a drag. Wet, soggy costumes are a huge drag. Lots of wet kids crammed together on a porch, all grubbing for candy and then trying to race down the stairs is quite treacherous and someone is going to fall...which is a massive drag. Yes, it rained here last night.
4. Buying your pumpkins on Halloween and starting to carve them at 4:30 p.m. while still needing to get 4 kids fed and costumed and out to trick or treat at a reasonable time is really DUMB. Okay, cutting myself some slack...we have had a lot going on here. And it's only dumb if you're attempting elaborate carvings. Some members of the family designed very amazing and intricate carving designs. As we were still gutting the pumpkins at 5:30 (these were some BIG pumpkins...with really tough rinds), things were dramatically simplified...but still came out great...except for the one that broke the knife and had to remain uncarved...can you guess which one that was?
Speed-carving at its finest!
5. Speed-pumpkin-carving is messy business. I left the mess for dad to clean up...
It was a big mess. This picture doesn't show the floor :P
6. Sorting and trading the candy is one of the best parts of the night...
They all like the same things, so trading is always just a big argument/attempt to swindle.
Lots of yelling, sometimes hitting...I stop it before blood is shed.
7. There is a local trend toward block parties in place of good, old-fashioned Trick-or-Treating. Does this happen where you live, too?
8. Candy bags are smaller. I noticed that candy was the same price per bag at Target this year. I was kind of excited to see something untouched by inflation. Then I picked up a bag. I think there were 7 fun-sized pieces of candy in there! Whoa. Didn't there used to be a couple of pounds of candy per bag? Didn't you used to be able so service a healthy stream of trick-or-treaters with one, maybe two standard bags?
9. Halloween lawn decorations have an affinity for Mizunos...
Yes...that is my sexy nighttime shadow!
And my magically golden Wave Rider 15 shoes. #mezamashii
10. A nun dress is a handy thing to have on hand...
11. But 'Evil' wins my personal costume contest...
It's warmer, and it's way more fun to be on "the dark side"
when coping with rush hour traffic...
and I'm lucky I fit into a kids XL.
I hope everyone had a super fun and safe Halloween :)
how did that happen?