26 November 2010

Turkey Trot 5K Run Report!

Yesterday, I participated in the Fifth Annual Family Fun Turkey Trot!

I woke up on Thanksgiving morning to beautiful and cold weather.  Where I live it was about 40ºF and where the race was to be held it was about 30ºF.  But the sun was shining and the skies were clear and the air was calm.  The 50-minute drive up was lovely...fall colors through the vineyards, the bay was mirror-like, everything felt clean and crisp.

The event was very well-run... easy and adequate parking for all, an assortment of yummies including coffee and hot chocolate, a bathroom very close by that was heated (so nice! people were joking about hiding out in there), friendly and efficient traffic control provided by the husband one of the hosts, personalized timing provided by the same husband, a very well-marked "real" 5K course... my compliments to the race organizers!

The course started off with a nice, long  downhill through a beautiful vineyard and continued with a nice, long downhill through a tree-lined residential area.  I realized pretty quickly that this nice, gentle, long downhill stretch would be turning into a not-so-nice, seemingly-less gentle, and suprisingly longer-feeling uphill at the very end of the run!  It then looped around through some semi-farm-ish/residential areas, a good mix of flat and hills up and down, past a very helpful 2-mile marker (so happy to see that) until heading back up toward the start.  I got to see frost!  And frozen puddles!  We don't often have those where I live.

With the fresh reminder that this was called a "run" and not a "race"  lol  there was no jostling, no tripping, no slapping, no name-calling... oh, that was back at home... and everyone just truly trotted along, really enjoying the beautiful morning.

I finished the course in 28:52.  So Catey was right... faster than my prediction... by a good amount.

Met some very nice people!  Anne Marie and her friends are fun and friendly.  She and her co-host attract a good bunch!

What a great way to start a day of giving thanks!


4 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! Where was your race?

    I like the Brickyard 4 miler in Martinez. I highly recommend it.

    On Thanksgiving I ran with a couple who are originally from San Jose. Every year they challenege family and friends to run on Thanksgiving. If the total amount of miles run by everyone is 100 they donate $100 to a charity. It was 37 and raining here but we did 4.25 miles. :)

    I'm glad you had sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome - congrats on finishing with a great time. I would love to run a 5K. I have to get my self in gear and start training. I just have so many excuses.....(I would have totally been hiding out in those heated bathrooms!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!
    just had to say, thank YOU so much again for coming!!;-) Great to meet you;-)

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...