25 April 2012

I am seriously not making any of this up...

About 2 months ago I started going to a climbing gym. It's really fun, and I love it. My approach to climbing has been similar to most things I enjoy in life...give it all you've got and don't worry about what you look like. But as with running (or anything, for that matter, I guess) there is a fashion angle to the climbing gym. One would assume it would involve names like Patagonia, prAna, The North Face...I'm sure there are other brands, but not being one to pay fashion much attention, these are the ones that immediately jump to my mind.

Remember what happens when we ASS/U/ME?  Yeah. So don't.

The gym I frequent is in Berkeley, California...and perhaps that has something to do with it. I still think it would be creepy for me to whip out the camera at the gym to photograph other people, so I had to recreate some of ensembles from images found online...

Last night

Dude wearing this...

...but roll the top down to be bare-chested, 
and roll the legs up to show off these...


...and sub in a pair of these...


I am seriously not making this up.

Night before last

Chick wearing this...



...but throw on one of these...


...yeah, the BIG one...
and strap on a climbing harness...
but on a chick...

Is this like the male version of camel toe?

I am seriously not making this up either.

I am also not making up that I got my permanent top rope card on my first test! That is soooo totally meaningless to probably everyone who reads this blog, but I was very proud of myself. Even though I didn't know the proper names for a lot of the things, I knew everything that they and I were supposed to do to be safe and non-life-endangering (this loopy thing goes over here and the belay thing goes on that dealie with this guy around over on this nubbin... yes, I do sound that smart in real life). It is like passing the swim test at the pool...go across and back without needing to be saved and you can go swim in the deep end. Now I don't need to 'test out' every time I climb...just flash my slick, blue card :)

Another thing I am not making up is that my application for the Nuun's Hood to Coast Relay team was accepted, meaning I am on the team. But you might have already known this :) The full list of team members and alternates can be viewed by clicking this image...


The last thing in this post that I am seriously not making up would be the results of the random number generator thing for the giveaway of Nuun and assorted fueling/running/whatever items...

There were a total of 51 individuals who commented. The randomly generated numbers were, in order randomly generated, the numbers 46, 30 and 1 which correspond to the following contestants:

Kyria
The Empress
TinaFab

Congrats, ladies! 

Please email me at xlmic (dot) tio (at) gmail (dot) com to confirm your interest and so we can discuss not only where your prize is going, but what the "assorted items" might best entail :)

Many thanks to all who participated!

I'm not making that up either :)

28 comments:

  1. Yay on the climbing gym! I kinda got nervous too when I took my climbing test-- you feel like everyone is watching and waiting for you to make a mistake or turn your carabiner the wrong way or something :) And congrats on Nuun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh how did you not die laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have fallen off the wall laughing hysterically while reaching for my camera!!! But I will admit that my whole Ragnar team will be wearing those socks for Cape Cod!!! Lol! Congrats on HTC!!!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go on passing your test on the first try! I climb at Mission Cliffs and they told me they'd flunk me three times no matter what. They actually only flunked me once, so I considered that a victory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope...we need photos! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me laugh out loud! That tiger lady cracks me up! Congratulations on your card. That is impressive. Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - who knew Berkeley was the up and coming fashion mecca!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear something like that to work all the time. Hey, I wear a lab coat and stand behind a counter. No one can see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rock climbers - they either look like Dorothy and The Lion spent some quality time together behind the Wizard's curtain or they roll up in a dashiki. Belay on, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny! I want to go to a rock climbing gym here in St. Louis. I did a little of it while in the Army but think it would be so fun to go on a consistent basis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow-silly me. I was thinking the only thing you really needed to be concerned about when climbing was clean undies. Congrats on getting the blue card!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's so funny! Congrats on your blue card! And on H2C of course - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is soooo funny! I have never been climbing, but now I want to just to check out the attire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAHAH!!! So funny. I am occasionally tempted to take pictures of people at the gym in weird outfits, but have NEVER seen anything as amazing as that first outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would expect nothing less in Berkley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any chance "I'm too sexy for this gym" pop into your head? Congrats again on making the Nuun team!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha. It's like the People of Walmart, but Berkeley climbing gym style! Congrats on getting in to HTC! I saw you on the list! Actually a lot of those names are familiar! Isn't the blogging/running world GREAT!?

    Woo hoo! I won! Awesome! I am going to email you now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah...NorCal..land of Fruits and Nuts....which are you again?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Be(zerk)ley! The entertaining people watching! Can't wait to visit in 2 weeks! Do you want me to pack my leopard skin onesie?

    ReplyDelete
  20. nuthin' like a gool ole' camel bulge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that male camel toe thing cracked me up!
    California is full of characters...at least it makes for good people watching!

    ReplyDelete
  22. the leopard spandex outfit is HYSTERICAL...and a guy wore it? Priceless...i would pay money to go and just sight see ;)

    so glad to hear you are still enjoying climbing! Keep writing so I can laugh more...I need it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That climbing gym sounds like better people watching than going out to a bar or Walmart :-).

    Congrats on getting on the Nuun team! I'm very excited for you. Has your You Tube video gone viral yet?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay for the Nuun Hood to Coast team! I can't wait to meet you in real life! :-) and you MUST be making those outfits up, REALLY??!! I mean, REALLY??

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh good lord, those outfits are bananas!

    Congrats on your rope card and congrats on the nun team! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are hilarious and always inspiring with your motivation to be physically fit. I need to borrow some of that. I'm wondering how you keep your concentration when climbing near Rainbow Brite with a dash of tiger print??

    ReplyDelete
  27. In other words, guys dress like girls and girls dress like guys to climb. I couldn't make that stuff up either, so I believe you.

    Next time you go to the gym, you gotta sneak a pic or two of these characters. You have my interest peaked.

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...