02 July 2011

While the husband's away, the wife will play...

My husband is out of town again, and I am home alone with 4 kids... again.

And on Thursday, I ran late again... start time: around 9:30 p.m.

The plan for the day (or night, in my case) called for 6 miles with eight 90-second accelerations at 5K pace or thereabouts. Someone suggested I just round up to an hour. I liked that. I liked that he assumed I would do 6 miles in less than an hour!

And I did.

6.6 miles in 1:00:37.... 9:11 pace. woo hooo

But not entirely consistent :(

I was able to pretty much hold onto just under 9 min pace for the first half of the workout... and then kind of did a series of stair-stepping nosedives... until I pulled her back up for the last mile and finished it off in style... last 0.6 miles was at 8:27 pace.

Part of the overall slowing down happened because I decided I wanted to focus on maintain the speed in the accelerations... keeping them even from one to the next... and I did that, only vacillating 4 seconds between the slowest and the fastest (I worked over distance based on the first 2 pieces). I am feeling pretty good about being able to gauge and keep things evenly-paced at the higher 'speeds'. It is a valuable skill, or sense, to have.

And I need to use a slightly slower pace for my base. We've talked about that. The whole "reining it in" thing. (And yes, it is "rein" as in you rein in your horse when he's going to fast. "Reign" is to rule... like over a kingdom).

I was done shortly after 10:30... wandered around the dark streets in a daze... then found my house and went in to eat cold fish and a popsicle.

I miss my husband.

***************************
The excitement of yesterday's announcement as to who is running which legs for the Nuun Hood to Coast Relay team overwhelmed me... in case you didn't see yesterday's post on this... I get to run the anchor leg! Really just beyond excited. There are sentimental reasons why in addition to anchor just being fun... you can read that in yesterday's post, too :)

8 comments:

  1. How neat to get to be the anchor! that is such a position of honor! you will do awesome at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder who that slave drivin' sonofabitch was, pushing you over an hour? The bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're really caught up in this rein vs. reign thing. Thanks for clarifying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...first going that late...not sure I could do it. Although i could beat The heat That way and with pepper spray id be ok...And the pace...i say it again that is fast

    ReplyDelete
  5. How the heck do you have energy to run that late, lady?? Dang! I usually have my pj's on by that late hour ;)
    Hope your hubby comes back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on the hour, woot!! Keep that base pace where it needs to be and your legs are going to respond well :).

    Bring home the hubby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you and how awesome to be the anchor...
    You so deserve time away to recharge and it could possibly help your family financially...
    I think the tickets are gone though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is one of the most important info
    for me. And i'm satisfied studying your article. But should remark on some normal things, The web site taste is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Just right activity, cheers

    Feel free to surf to my web-site :: fake louis vuitton bags

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...