27 September 2011

Don't tell me I can't.



This video has been circulating the cyberworld for a while now, most often in its dramatized-with-music version which you can see here if you prefer that sort of perspective. And if you want to see a not-so-remarkable interview with this remarkable young woman, go here.

I needed to look at this today.

I'm feeling shaky... and I know that I am my own worst enemy.

I'm staring down the barrel of my first long race in over a decade, and injury is still fresh in my mind.

I've been setting some goals... pretty lofty ones. I don't set my goals cavalierly...a lot of thought goes into their creation. I am generally hesitant to share them because I tend to perceive anything other than..."Awesome! Go, XL! You CAN do it! I'm right here with you!" as naysaying. And at first, I whole-heartedly believe those naysayings... or perceived naysayings. I always climb out of that abyss. And I pretty much always hit my goals... sometimes it just takes me a little longer than I thought :)

I need to remember this.

Don't tell me I can't...  go to college. I'll just prove you wrong and do it on my own... and get two degrees.

Don't tell me I can't...  be good at rowing. I'll just prove you wrong and win a couple of national championships and medal in international competition.

Don't tell me I can't...  have kids because I am too old. I'll just prove you wrong and have babies at the age of 36, 39, almost 42, and almost 46.

Don't tell me I can't...  be strong because I'm weak right now. I'll just have to prove you wrong and show you that immeasurable strength lies beneath this seemingly-physically weak exterior.

Don't tell me I can't...  be fast because I'm slow right now. I'll just have to prove you wrong and show you how far and how fast I can go on determination, experience, and heart.

Don't tell me I can't... I won't listen.

Ultimately, it isn't about showing you or anyone other than me what I can do. And even though that sounds incredibly self-absorbed, it's actually quite the opposite.

making a blog post about it is awfully narcissistic, though! 


*********************


Want to win ad space on The Bloggess? Link up your best post at lovelinks on free fringes like I did!

28 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post. It speaks volumes about your strength, will and character. Truthfully? I completed my first tri this year because my husband told me he didn't think I could. I then set out to prove him (and myself too) wrong. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You CAN do it, Marjorie - YOU CAN!!! I find it funny that I would probably be stubborn enough to go have a bunch of babies in my 40s if someone told me I couldn't...and then who would be laughing? HAHAHA!! Don't test me! I figure I'm already going to be in my 60s by the time the kids are out of the house...I don't need no mo'...don't go tempting me...I've got two more years 'til almost 46...so you're telling me I've still got time?

    Girl...you got this! in the bag! No. Worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll tell you want you can't do - keep worrying. You have a good plan that you are executing. You've thought through all aspects of the race. Your injury has been cooperating. Time to get STOKED!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will OWN this. Youre the only one standing between you and your dreams. So get out of your way and fly, you fierce mother! Whoo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fabulous post. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    The "can't's" push me even harder. I have SEEN you FIRSTHAND dominate when you set your mind to it. You will again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I'm the only one in the world who hadn't seen that video before, but the strength it portrayed made my heart hurt (in a good way), it was so amazing.

    As for can'ts... I'm with Jess. I'm stubborn. Sometimes having someone tell me I "can't" do something gives me extra incentive -- because I've GOT to prove that person wrong. After all, there is no "can't" there is only "won't" or "don't want to."

    As for your race, you will be AMAZING. Because you can be. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have me crying here Marjorie. Partly because of that video...gets me every time. But also because you make yourself vulnerable here by sharing yourself. Thank you for this. YOu are awesome. I'm sharing this post of fb. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! And I love that video - never seen it before. The sidebar on YouTube had tons of "inspirational" videos that I got sucked into until I found myself sitting on the floor with my laptop crying and my kids asked me if I was ok....so yeah.

    YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You CAN and WILL do it Marjorie! I have a lot of faith in you! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is my favorite of all your posts. So honest, so heartfelt. I can relate to where you're at, I'm there too. People have said "you are so stubborn" to me as if it were an insult, but I take it as a compliment. I wouldn't have accomplished a tenth of what I have without that "I can do it even though you think I can't" attitude. My hat's off to you for all you have accomplished!! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this! Thanks for the reminder to live my own life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a GREAT post. And the kind of thing to tape to your mirror or something. I'm a firm believer in the power of grim determination, and there's nothing so cool as overcoming adversity and/or doubts to triumph. Your doubts must be lonely, though, bc the rest of us totally believe in you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. I love this post.
    2. I am allergic to CAN'T thanks to my swim coach who taught me to be. thank you Fred.
    3. that video is awesome. showing this to my kids tomorrow. thank you.

    4. you can. of course you can. you are Marjorie. you gave birth 4 times. please. you are now raising 4 kids. what is harder than that. not much. besides illness. you can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, that clip is amazing!! First time I saw that. Like some of the other girls said, "can't" just makes me more determined... I'm kinda stubborn like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is right up my alley. I love this. You go girl and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post! This is a great attitude to have towards everything in life. Good luck on your upcoming race. I just know you'll kick some serious a**.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can do it for sure. Don't listen to that inner negative voice. I know I hear it sometimes and I just have to prove it wrong...because the great thing is we can and we are able!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have read this post 4 different times between last night and now. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please don't make me fire up ye olde uterus again. You're making me fire up ye olde uterus again.

    Inspiring post. My future fourth child thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post. I admit to having next to no interest in sports, but I enjoyed the video and especially your attitude. I've had to pull that attitude out a few times, too!
    I wish you all the best! You certainly have what it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You CAN do it and you know you can! Thanks for sharing that video it brought me to tears. We can do hard things. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You CAN do it!!! I am excited for you. The effort of going for those lofty goals is worth it. There are a lot of us who believe in you!

    Btw, the whole idea of a blog is a bit narcissistic, don't you think? I doubt any of us think a post like this is odd. That's why we are here!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH MY GOODNESS - Love! I hadn't read this before I did my post. We are on the same wavelength. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so BAD ASS!! You know that, don't you?

    My PT told me not to climb Mt. Whitney. I did. He then told me not to run Pikes Peak. I did. You and I know what makes us tick, and nothing is going to stop us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I won't tell you you can't go fast, but I want you to be careful when you go fast. How 'bout that? You gonna go all rebel on my ass now! Just be careful THEN go fast! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very inspiring! I believe in you and this is the first of your words I've ever read!

    Visiting from lovelinks! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm telling you, you can't win. There. Now I'm sure you're gonna prove me wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's not narcissistic, it's awesome. Where else can your proclaim your worthiness and crow about your successes than here? You will do great in whatever you attempt to do, because you have the right attitude about it. Thank you for reminding us about the power of self-confidence at Rub Some Dirt On It.

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...