19 June 2011

The Dad Post

My dad was a really young guy... always. Some might say maturity was not his strongest suit. And some might say the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. But he was just about the funnest and most loving man one could ever hope to meet.

He was only 21 when I was born and only 51 when he passed away. You can read more about that here. In those 30 years that I had with him, I always knew I was loved and emotionally supported by him to the nth degree. There was never any doubt about it.

One of the biggest points of sadness in my life is that he never got to see me finally at ease in my life. He didn't get to meet the man who became my husband and the father of my children, his grandchildren. And he never got to play with his grandchildren. He would have been an amazing grandpa... probably an even better grandpa than he was a dad :)



He was just a kid.


My stepdad has gotten to be the awesome grandpa! He was more like a big brother when I was a kid... a big brother who could pull rank!  He is younger than my mom... and she was really young when I was born... so he and I are not all that far apart in age.

He is the most loving and attentive grandpa. 

He will go to great lengths to ensure the kids have fun!

So I have had these two fun-loving guys holding the 'father' image in my mind as I was growing up.
And I am so grateful to have and have had them both in my life!
Happy Father's Day to my awesome dad and stepdad :)

Then, one day...

I met a man who had six children...
He had six children because he loves being a father.

Some might say he was insane for having SIX kids... and some might say I was insane for marrying him.
But I knew that there was something nearly magical about him and something truly special about a big family. And having grown up an only child, perhaps I was a little delusional and insane...

But...

love is blind.

Here he is with his seventh (our first)... Big G.

He adores babies...


and they adore him.

Teaching his boy to be a manly man :P


His eighth child... Baby X...
like putty in daddy's arms.

 Q-Man was his ninth child ... and his fifth son... 
he has his eyes.

Still smiling with ten kids!

As the older kids grew up and went out on their own, it became increasingly difficult to get a 'family' shot... this is so old and, sadly, is one of the most recent...
My favorite father with eight of his children
Christmas in Paris, 2002.

Happy Father's Day to my favorite fathers!

with love,

XL

13 comments:

  1. What great men you have had in your life. You are so blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing post. I LOVE the photos of your father and you when you were tiny. So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post!!! How lucky you are to have had three great men in your life!!! I hope your husband and stepdad had a great fathers day. I'm sure your dad is thrilled to see you so happy in your life!!! Thanks again for a really special post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I freaking love this post! What a great story. Really interesting. I have one and only kid. Your husband is rad.

    BTW, my dad is a WAAAAAAAY better Grandfather than Dad. Funny how that is normally the case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post...similar to my last one...love the old pics...
    you are lucky just like me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post! I enjoyed the pictures! Your husband sounds like a wonderful dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I freaking loved this post too. Read it on my phone earlier. So awesome. Your husband...those eyes...funny I was thinking that now I know where your kids get their eyes and then I saw that you mentioned it too. Your step-dad...so cool! I loved every part of this post. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it wrong that I kind of have the hots for your husband? I get a twinge of jealousy when I hear him call you "babe" in those vlogs. I'm all like, "Babe, babe, babe, sheesh, her name is XLMIC, doesn't he know that? Shesh..."
    Ok, and this was a great Father's Day Post. I just finished reading one that I thought was very cool, but this one is right up there. Plus your husband's hot...right, already said that....getting creepy now, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very heartfelt post, I know you've been thinking of both your dads all day :). You've been very blessed to have some amazing men in your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful post. I love your stepdad in his Batman costume!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, thanks for sharing. I know the sadness, my mother passed after I met the man I am married to, but she never met him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these photos! Your dad WAS young...and what an incredible man stepped into his shoes.

    You have a very brave husband and you are brave too!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...