04 November 2010

A Different Kind of Petting Zoo

Did you ever wonder what it would be like to actually play a tuba?  Or a cello?  Or a harp?

In our community, there is a school for children in grades 4 through 8 that specializes in music education.  The kids learn "regular" stuff and also play their instruments for hours every day.  Every year the school sponsors a Community Music Day, which includes an instrument "petting zoo."

At the instrument petting zoo, you can try out the trumpet, trombone, french horn, TUBA, violin, viola, cello, contrabass, harp, flute, piccolo, clarinet, piano, harpsichord, and a wide palette of percussion instruments as well.

Baby X plays the harp, and her teacher invited her to be one of the "teachers" in the Harp Room.



My husband was out of town and the logistics were going to be a little tricky, but it was decided that she would participate.  I am so glad it was a rainy day because otherwise I might not have dragged all the kids on my own to the event and we would have missed out on this unique opportunity.

I had always wanted to try a tuba, and I got my chance!  Lots of lung power needed to make that sucker sing!  I had tons of fun trying a few things out, and the kids had a blast, too!

I wish I had gotten more pictures that I did, but the raininess of the day led to a mobbed-ness of the event, and being on my own with four kids in a jam-packed, small school filled with delicate instruments necessitated my full attention be on the kids being in the right place with their hands (and the rest of their bodies) not bugging anyone or anything.  Not to mention that my help was needed to hold some of the larger instruments (tuba, for example) while the kids tried them out.  But I did get a few.  And here they are...






Q-man doesn't usually wear a tie.  Though maybe he should.  He was very well-behaved while wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...