10 January 2011

Granny's Gadgets #2

This is one of the weirdest-looking items in the gadget stash.


The first time I saw it I was baffled.

I thought maybe you shove a cucumber through it and get it all decorated with grooves or something.  Or cutting a banana?  For some reason I was stuck on the image of a long, somewhat cylindrical object.  It made sense to me that you put something into that hole and cut it with those pointy little teeth.   But what?

This time I asked my mother-in-law.  I was not going to be out-sleuthed by NattyBumpo again!  lol

So here it is in use:

Behold...




Yummm...

Just never mind the whole fact that the egg was supposed to be soft-boiled... and it was hard.  The gadget totally works!  And that's what's important tonight ;-)

If you want one... you can get one here  or here.  I'm keeping mine.  And now that I know what it's for and that it works, we'll probably even use it!  

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I wouldn't have had a clue what that was for! This blog is just a wealth of knowledge! Anxiously awaiting Gadget #3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love you voice...to bad you didn't show your lovely face! :) I could hear one of your sweet babies in the background saying "egg egg" :) or was that what I heard? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have guessed. The world is just full of surprises isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang...Asking Mom-in-law is cheating! I might have to get one of those..I hat trying to WHACK the end off of a "warm" egg in my hand with a knife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. chinese finger guillotine? just a guess..


    your reaction was classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, if you had made this a contest, I would have won in a heartbeat. I, as well as all the other French Moms the world over, totally know what this is and even have a couple at home (or wish we had one because the old knife trick works with some practice, but is not so reliable). Now what you need is this: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Egg-Rite-Timer/dp/B00004UE75
    the best timer ever, as it compensates for water temperature, egg temperature... you can't miss an egg with this tool (unless you're not watching it of course, which happens). Also, you need to learn about "mouilettes" which are long narrow strips of buttered bread (preferably baguette so it's hard enough) that you dip in the yolk, as long as you haven't overcooked your egg. Makes for an easy dinner for picky eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So this is a de rigueur item in the French kitchen? And I didn't even know it...

    My picky eater won't touch an egg :(

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...