11 March 2011

Vecchio Venerdì... Baby as Carry-on?

Before your child turns 2 years old, you do not need to pay for a seat on the plane...

They don't really meet the dimension requirements for storing under the seat in front of you....

So it is really best to try and board early so that you can find them a spot in the overhead bin!

Big G upon arrival in Paris... March 2000
do not dwell on my greasy hair and shiny face... 
we'd been on a plane forever... 
with a 6-month old who knew how to crawl

Baby X upon arrival in Florence... March 2003
I chose to play photographer this time because
i probably looked even worse than the last time...
traveling with a nearly-walking 11-month old
and a cranky 3-year old

Q-Man upon arrival in Paris... August 2005
i think he was trying to get out :P
but i look pretty happy (even in my glasses)
so i doubt he was trying very hard


Miss C upon arrival in Boston... October 2009
the girl has not yet flown internationally :(
but she'll get her chance soon!


We used to do a lot of traveling with the kids. What do I mean by 'a lot' ? Well, Big G's passport was full before it expired when he turned 5 years old. Travel used to be pretty cheap. The deals were not hard to find.
It was a challenge. 
And you know me and challenges ;-)

The "baby in the overhead bin" photo is obviously a tradition in our family :P  No, we didn't ever close a child in there!  And no coercion was ever used.

And the flight attendants never got pissy, either :)  they always thought it was cool!  Even after things got really 'secure' on planes.

What's the oddest thing you've ever put in the overhead bin?

How about under the seat in front of you?

16 comments:

  1. Such a cute tradition! Wow, good for you for traveling so much with kids! I hope to do some more traveling soon! I'm not sure I've traveled with many odd things. ummm, I suppose traveling with art can be tricky when finding places to put it so it doesn't get ruined. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pics are pricelss! The oddest thing for me would have been my 'The Stick' if they hadn't confiscated it on the way to Boston last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Those are absurdly cute, all of them :)

    I don't do much flying anymore --and when I did it was pre-kid and I didn't have any oddball items that traveled with me -- so I don't even have any good airplane/luggage stories!

    -Karinya @ Unlikely Origins
    www.unlikelyorigins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these pictures!
    what a great idea!!!
    I do travel with my kids..but so far I have not enjoyed the journey getting home...
    we had it all
    dirty looks, kids being sick on board, tamper tantrums, even has one guy using the F word while snaping at Will who was just 4 yrs old and really was not being bad at all. I thought my husband was going to hit that guy! going on the next trip in May...lets hope it goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures, they're so sweet!! I'm participating in the “Week-End Blog Hop” and I’m now the newest follower of your great site. Hope you have a chance to check out my blog, have a look around and maybe follow me back!!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to travel more...that's all I can say about that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just last night I was watching on a talk show about a flight attendant who called security because during a game of "hide and seek", a dad put his kid in the overhead compartment for 10 seconds. 10 seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great your kids get to travel so much, I always found it funny that the passports didn't expire for such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super creative pics. Love it. As somone who flies alot internationally I try to put very little above or below me. Just my quaaludes and I'm fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pictures are so cute!

    I've never really put anything odd in an overhead bin. I'm going to make it a goal on my next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great pictures!! I really haven't traveled much so nothing crazy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I'd be way too busy pushing and shoving off the plane to take the time. Kudos to you for flying with little ones. Sweet T and I took a 3 hour flight when she was 5 weeks old and I was a nervous wreck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally cute. I hate putting stuff in the overhead bin. Probably because I am a weakling and always have a hard time trying to lift my overstuffed carry on up there! I have issues with packing light...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaaaahhh! I LOVE these photos. What a fantastic family tradition! I hope you have all these up on the wall in frames.

    You traveled on planes with small children. You looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So items DO truly shift during the flight!!!!

    --Toby

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just discovered this... hilarious! I've never put anything creative in an overhead bin, but on BART rides I used to let my kids hang off the grab bars. They're like monkey bars, right? Never thought to take a photo though.

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...