03 June 2011

That "centerspread" in a popular magazine I was promising...

One final mention of that-which-shall-not-be-named... I had promised on my Facebook page (which you can travel to via the badge I spent a ton of time figuring out how to make and sits over in the sidebar) that if I finished in the Top 10 I would post an image... my 'centerspread' from a very popular magazine.

Notice I use -spread and not -fold. So if you were allllllll excited for the wrong reasons...I'm sorry.

It's kind of cool anyway.

Here is the cover of the magazine...


Imagine my surprise when I went to Miami airport newsstand, immediately upon arrival from Havana, Cuba... jonesing for a bit of all-American trash... and I find this!

HAhahahahhahha! Noooooooooo....

It has nothing to do with Jeffrey Dahmer. Don't be silly :P

If you open this issue (August 12, 1991) up to the middle....

niiiiiiiiice shades.... hahahahha!

Yep. That would be me in the coolio fly-eye, old-school Oakleys...they were black with purple reflective lenses. 

What you may notice is that even though I sit in the foreground of the picture... and the pair is a two-man boat... and in rowing, everything is ALL about the team factor... I am blurry. Out of focus. That's because a 28-year old making the National Team is no great shakes. But my partner was 42... AND her 21-year old son ALSO was on that PanAm squad... stroking the men's 8. And that is WHY we were even IN People. 

We were also on Wide World of Sports... 10-second video clip of us crossing the finish line and her and her son being interviewed by Brent Musberger

There is so much to the story, and I won't bore you with the details here :) Anyone who wants me to do that "relive the glory days" spouting and pontificating, feel free to email me with any questions or tangents you want to explore on the topic, and I will more than happily oblige. I love talking about myself... clearly... or I wouldn't have a blog!  hahahhahaa!

A very happy Friday to everyone! May you all have an amazing weekend!

27 comments:

  1. And somehow I don't think that will be your only 15 minutes of fame. : ) Behold those rowing guns! I think you'd fetch $$$ if you auctioned off those Oakley's. I know I'd be bidding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I love it! Great "centerspread"!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my phone but had to say that this is way too cool! You are still just as amazing! Love your sense of humor in this whole nameless thing! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved seeing this! And woman, the fucken arms on you! You do realize I'm all about sculpted arms. I may have to do you now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome!!! I didn't know you were such a celebrity, center page and all, that's fabulous!! Do you still have the glasses? I'm pretty sure those are back in style now right? lol, You're so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Granted it wass the early 90's, but what is up with the cropped leg warmers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. To all who admire and covet them: I lost those sunglasses :(

    Sandra... I no longer have those arms :(

    Kovas... is the comment issue better? And the cropped leg warmers are actually the cut-off tops of tube socks that are protecting the calves from having bloody holes mercilessly gouged into them by the sharp ends of the slide tracks. Not so much a fashion statement as a comfort device :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!!
    I so want arms like those, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look
    At
    Your
    Freaking
    Guns!!

    Smith & wesson have nothing on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great story, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have like no idea what you could be talking about with "that-which-shall-not-be-named" Ha! Congrats on that by the way!!

    Holy smokes you are famous. PEOPLE!! And YES, those Oakleys are HOT!! Wide World of Sports too! Damn!

    Pontificating-off to google that.

    You really have the greatest sense of humor! I am always laughing! And thanks for your support on the issue with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what up with those crazy Aztec looking prints you guys are wearing?

    I was also going to have a go at those glasses but I got beat to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you're famous! That's so cool you were in People, of all magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  15. People mag, my fav. How cool is that! Oakleys if those don't make me feel old...LOL...new follower from an "older" blog hop (from last Sunday). Hope you can drop by my blog and follow back. I have a giveaway going on right now so if you follow and comment on giveaway post, you will have 3 chances to win. Just sayin. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shot! It's good to relive your glory days now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is pretty impressive you World Class Athlete you.

    Thanks for your comment on my Blog about relationships. You give sound advice. I will be sure to heed it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're a stud. That is pretty fly in my book to get a picture in "People".

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is so cool!!! You are out of focus but that's a big picture! WOW
    Thanks about your comment. Moving sucks...Thanks for the kind word, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! New follower from Sundae hop. Stop by http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are my famous friend. Well, I did meet another blogger (The Bearded Iris) who was on Oprha once, so you are a close second to my most famous friend. I feel a smidge like Paris Hilton now that I'm surrounded by all these celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Umm... can I say, AWESOME! Not many people have a PEOPLE spread to their credit!

    Baby Talk without the Babble

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy jesus. You are so famous. I need your autograph.

    ReplyDelete
  24. THAT is awesome!! You are so inspiring!! I love your humor and the fact that you can kick arse in a boat. You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome, awesome awesome are you! Wow! Too bad it had to be with Jeffrey D. on the cover. I think you look pretty rad in the glasses. So did you have scrapes on your legs? Wondering what the patches are!


    2 kids gone, 1 to go and then down to mine. Oh and my zoo of animals but I can handle those, :)

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...