29 May 2011

A Veritable Dumping Ground

When I run along the Bay Trail, I am usually going so fast... or am in so much discomfort... or am soooooo into my tunes... that I don't really pick up on many details of the surroundings that are below eye level.

The trail runs along the edge of the San Francisco Bay. It goes through some very lovely wetlands... that used to be major chemical factory dumping grounds. Evidently, there were huge clean-up projects that have rendered it safe (enough) for walking, running or biking through... and for walking dogs through. The plant-and animal-life are coming back... lots of egrets, herons, seagulls and squirrels. Lots of marshy plants that I don't know the names of... and weeds.

The past several days I have been taking Miss C for a stroller walk at nap time, hoping that the girl GOES TO SLEEP!!!  It has been working. Slowing down to stroller-pushing pace has allowed me to see what a dumping ground the area around the Trail still is.

Centuries ago... like 2, I think... native americans inhabited this region. Lots has been learned about their communities from their shellmounds... which were essentially their dumps.

What do you think will be learned 200 years from now about us?


That we are freakin' litterbugs!!!!
click on it if you want to see the trash up close and personal


So many people ignore the fairly liberally-placed trash receptacles, and  they "forget" they are supposed to pick up after their dogs (or maybe they are just grossed out by it like I am... which is why I will NEVER have a dog). Thus, there are frequent reminders designed to help keep the area safe and clear of dog-bombs for the people who use it (as well as the wild critters, I suppose).


I can't believe people need the graphic instructions for how to pick up after their dog...




But what tripped me out the most while on my walk today was the guy with NO DOG who grabbed one of these baggies from the dispenser and then high-tailed it into the bushes... did I mention he had NO DOG?

As far as today's workout... I didn't get to run along the Trail today. It will be 6 miles of loopty-loops in my development. I did my dynamic stretching but blew off the core stuff... I should do it after my run... we'll see... I may be tiiiiiiiiiiired....

What would you tell me if you were my coach?

***********************
This voting biz-nazz is getting just sooooo freakin annoying, isn't it? But I'm still going to ask you to vote for the awesomeness that IS Taking It On :) Treat it like Pantene shampoo... tell two friends... who will tell two friends .... who will tell two friends... and so on and so on and so on.... Make it easy for them... hook 'em up with the link:  http://circleofmoms.com/blogger/taking... copy/paste that sucker for ease of use. Tweet the heck out of it! Smack on THIS PINK ... go on... SMACK IT! and VOTE :)

11 comments:

  1. I wonder what he was doing with that bag...hmmm...maybe he was collecting garbage. If I were your coach I'd tell you to get out there and run those loopity loops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tell you, or more accurately, ask you, Shiraz or Merlot? And then proceed to spend the evening laughing my heinie off. There is always time for more training, but hey, take advantage of friends when they are over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Litter annoys me so much. Grr. Makes me angry just reading about it! (at least that guy picked up after himself...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I don't really 'see' my surroundings either during my runs. It's because I'm listening to guys like Brad Paisley singing funny songs.

    However, the pictures you're showing make it worthwhile to leave the ipod at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New public follower here from Say Hi Sunday. Nice blog. Litter is a pet peeve of mine. I would appreciate you following back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I would also appreciate if you would like me in facebook http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and in twitter @DeniseLillaRose. I always follow back. Just leave me a note so I know you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would say HTFU, put some knobby tires on that jogging stroller and run.

    That said, at least you acknowledge the core work. So important.

    As to the guy...well I'll admit I've been caught needing to lay one out, and it never occurred to me to pick it up. Maybe that guy is on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WATCH OUT FOR THAT GUY WITH THE POOP BAG!

    He really scares.

    I'm about to tweet about your biznass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Litter is nasty. On another note, your running with the stroller is inspiring...I've got to get back at it!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...