20 May 2011

Vecchio Venerdì... the president of a college

This boy was the son of that itinerant butcher who like to drink. Remember him? The one who bled to death in his kitchen after a knife fight over a game of cards... yeah, that guy.


This boy was known as "GCL" ... really. It wasn't just his blogging name :P Those were his first three initials and didn't include his last name. Being saddled with all those names might be part of why none of his 6 kids or their kids had middle names. (A tradition that was eventually passed down to me) And his dad's drinking might have had something to do with why he never touched the stuff.

GCL was my great-grandfather. My father's grandfather. He was born in 1873 in Germany and came to America in 1882 with his family. He was a brilliant scholar and knew 8 languages. He held degrees from Bucknell University, Harvard University and the University of Leipzig. He was a professor of German and then the president of a college.

This photo was taken in 1889 when he was 16 years old.

**********************************

It's voting time!  Every day...  click here for the easy way out. Or go that pink button up on the right!



7 comments:

  1. Hi,visiting from the Weekend Blog Hop. I'm now following your blog. I would love if you could return the favor.
    http://freerecipehealthbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. GCL kind of reminds me of GTL, which (from what I hear) is a "Jersey Shore" reference. I don't watch "Jersey Shore" because I'm too mature/my DVR is already too full of "16 and Pregnant", "Dr. Phil", and every "Real Housewives" in the United States. (I'm have very sophisticated TV tastes.)

    GCL is a fly dude, though. And... I voted. Because I love you and your old school photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I wish I new that much (or anything much) about my family's history. That is really neat!

    Also I voted (of course).

    And Jen's comment made me laugh out loud :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that was really cool! Loved the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoppin in from So follows saturday.

    Voted for you on Circle.. can you vote for me? Different set...


    http://www.circleofmoms.com/blogger/real-house-wife-singapore#_

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!

    I'm a new follower from the "Over 40" hop!
    Hope you can hop by and visit my blog too. If you like giveaways, I have one for Enjoy Hair Care Thermal Spray.
    Have a great weekend!
    http://www.stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a new follower it would be so nice if you could follow me back please thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...