28 April 2011

Père-Lachaise...The World's Most Visited Cemetery

A dubious distinction, to be sure, but this resting place of the notable, noteworthy as well as the regular folk is lovely.  My husband visited it by himself this time... we have been there together on previous visits, and back then hit up all the famous gravesites... Oscar Wilde, Colette, Jim Morrison, Yves Montand, Simone Signoret, Honoré de Balzac, Voltaire and Molière... the list goes on and on and on...

This time he was feeling more reflective and introspective, I think. He took some very simple shots that really convey the peace and serenity and love some felt for their dearly departed...



Several shots of the jumbled mass and seeming-chaos of the tombs...

that is actually arranged along careful, narrow paths and walkways...

some more traveled than others...


But he was particularly drawn to war memorials on this visit...
Most referencing World War II.

The inscription on the memorial below says:
Here lies the body of an unknown displaced victim of treason and Nazi barbarianism.

These sculptures just blew him away...

As did this one... another tribute to those who endured the atrocities of the Nazis.

Honoring the Résistance was everywhere...


And this gravity (sorry, couldn't stop myself) was amidst the splendor of Spring... the awakening...
in a most beautiful setting.

Life is precious.
 

And beautiful.

Make the most of it.

11 comments:

  1. What amazing pitures--You are so eloquent with your words Marjorie!

    Thank you for sharing--Looks like an absolutely wonderful visit.

    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great place to visit, similar to some of the old cemeteries in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing cemetery. Those pictures are incredible! Life is definitely precious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I am new here. Found you through Steph at the Circus and am now following. So excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are so amazing. The Nazi one really is so sad, what an great display of those who have suffered so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures were beautiful! I love cemeteries. I love history, so it all kind of goes together. I guess I'm not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that was cool, I am an admitted history nerd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice shots! The most beautiful cemetary, in my opinion, is near Bronte Beach in Sydney, Australia. I believe it's called Waverly Cemetary? Nestled on a cliff, it's gorgeous!

    Again, great photos!

    Baby Talk without the Babble

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been there and It is hard to describe that place..you did a good job. It is a very special place. I remember going to see the Jim M. statue and then I realized that it was MUCH more then that. I was young and stupid then :)
    One day I want to go back and take Bill to France!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very powerful headstone monuments.... life is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I freaking love this post.

    Precious
    &
    Beautiful.

    For. Sure.

    ReplyDelete

we *heart* comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...